Monday, September 28, 2009

FEATURING: MiMi's Babies (Fellow Etsy D-Lister)

To honor the newly inaugurated Etsy D-List Team, I thought it would be fun to have a weekly showcase of one team member. This week, let’s learn a little bit about MiMi’s Babies!

1. What is the name of your business and how did the name come about?
The name of our business is MiMi’s Babies. My mother in law is known as MiMi to all of her grandchildren. We began discussing opening an Etsy shop to showcase our talents and have a creative outlet for our baby gift ideas. Since MiMi has always made such beautiful gifts for all her babies, we decided MiMi’s Babies was appropriate.

2. Tell us a little about your business - what is it that you make and sell and where are you based?
We are a family team. Our goal is to provide our customers with unique gifts and apparel. MiMi sews and monograms baby to toddler holiday and birthday shirts, tote bags, diaper and wipe cases, and buggy buddies. I knit and crochet dishcloths, double sided flannel blankets with a crochet edge, hats, and boo boo bunnies.

3. What inspired you to start your business?
Over the years, we have given many special baby gifts. Friends and family have even asked us to make for them to give as gifts. We heard about Etsy and decided to give it a try.

4. How long does it usually take for you to complete a piece?
It depends on what we are making. A set of dishcloths or a hat takes a couple of hours. A buggy buddy takes about three hours to make.

5. What is the most challenging piece you’ve ever made?
MMi is currently working on a Civil War blouse for a customer who participates in Civil War reenactments. The styles have changed a lot from then to now!

6. What is your favorite thing to do when you are not crafting/working?
There is not much time left after crafting and working, but we love to spend time together as a family. I enjoy learning more about blogging and the technical side of running an online shop.

7. Who are some of your favorite crafters/artists/designers on Etsy?
I love your jewelry! Some of my other favorites include kangarooknits, pinkbubbleboutique, and HandKnitbyCara. I currently have a custom order for a stocking cap from HandknitbyCara’s shop.

8. What are your favorite blogs and what online site do you visit a lot?
My favorite blogs include the Etsy D List Blog and the Happy Housewife blog (http://www.happyhousewifelivinglife.com/). I am interested in finding more blogs to read as well.

9. How do you balance your day job [if you have one] and your crafting enterprise?
Balancing is key when running an online shop and working full time. MiMi and I both try to use our spare time to the fullest. I find that if I stay organized I am more productive.

10. What is the last book that you read and enjoyed?
With three young boys and a full time student teacher position, the last book I read was to my kids titled The Crayon Box that Talked. I did really enjoy it and they did too. I think that it is soon to become their favorite story.

11. What is the last film you watched and enjoyed?
The last film that I watched was on Family Friday Movie Night. We watched The Veggie Tales: The Wizard of Has. It was a hilarious movie!

12. Where can we find your products for sale or see you products online?
Our products are currently online in our Etsy shop at www.mimisbabies.etsy.com

13. What are you wearing right now to answer these interview questions (It is completely ok to say pajamas :) )?
Right now, I am still wearing my church clothes. After church today, we went to a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese and I haven’t had time to change yet!

14. Who should we interview next on Julie Ellyn Designs blog?
Because I love her scarves with pockets, I would have to go with KangarooKnits.

Thank you to MiMi's Babies for answering all of my questions. Please take a moment and visit their terrific shop! My current favorite is the Frankenstein Onsie.

1 comment: