Sunday, September 18, 2011

Etsy Shop Feature - Poirier's Crafts & Creations

I would like to introduce a wonderful Etsy shop Poirier's Crafts & Creations who I met through the Etsy For The Cure Team. 100% of proceeds from her shop sales go to the Maine Cancer Foundation!!! Shop for a cause!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/81576899/breast-cancer-awareness-pink-tree-of

1. How long have you been crafting?
Man that's a great question!! As long as I can remember! When I was little like 6, I started to draw then the older I got I started to paint. I would paint anything I could get my hands on. Like rocks and wooden cut outs. At 12 I started sewing too. It just snowball from there. I tried selling my crafts and artwork at flea markets and nothing really became of it.

2. When did you turn your hobby into a business?
love working with my hands so I started working at a furniture store that made new cabinet, bookcase, and a ton of items, but they closed so I worked for a clothes pin factory....yep the wooden ones with the springs. Then that place closed and I found another place to work with furniture. Only this time it was with anitque furniture that need to be repaired and finished. I have worked there for 8 years now. I got laid off in Nov of 2010 for 9 months. Now being a person that has to be working with her hands I couldn't just sit home doing nothing so I started making jewelry which I have never done before. I started making so much I had no idea what to do with it. Some told me about Etsy, and that's when it all started. Now I'm selling some at two stores in my town. I also sell from baskets my friends and family take to their work. Now that I'm back to work I'm really busy doing all this stuff and I love it. I wouldn't have it any other way!

3. What is your favorite Etsy shop?
That is one question I have no one answer for! I have fallen in love with sooooo many shops. I have met so many great crafters and bead salers. Etsy has something for everyone and I love that.

4. How has breast cancer affected your life?
I will have to say I'm a lucky one and found out that the lumps that I have are just fatty tissue (they are keeping an eye on them), but having the doctors make a special appointment scared the crap out of me. That same year I heard on my favorite radio station Q97.9 a Breast Cancer Fundraiser call Cans For A Cure! I thought to myself I need to do it. So my family and I for 5 years now go around getting cans and bottles from everyone we know and help out the fundraiser. I have also met a woman that started Etsy the same time as me. We started chatting every night and she told me she had breast cancer! We are very close now and I'm glad to call her my Etsy Sister! So when I'm helping out I think of her.

Please visit Poirier's Crafts & Creations and shop for a cause!

HUGS,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment